Sunday, October 24, 2010

Training

I'm in Winston-Salem for the NC League of Municipalities annual conference. I LOVE this conference. It is one of the few real learning opportunities available to elected officials. Yesterday, after serving on a panel of education professionals during Homecoming festivities at Elon, I came to Winston (I used to live here, so I get to call it that) to participate in a workshop called Balancing Your Budget During Tight Times. It was AWESOME. There was a game with real scenarios, and a visioning exercise. It was hands on, and the presenters didn't talk at us. I came away wanting to have this in Franklin County with my colleagues from other municipalities. I think they'd like it too!

This morning, I attended a workshop called Involving the Public in the Budgeting Process. As most of you know, this is a sore spot for me. But - the difference between me and some bitter old man is that I want to learn. I want new tips! I want to find a better way to do things! And after today's session, and some brainstorming at Barnes and Noble, I think we may have a few! Hearing some of today's suggestions was rather validating, because some of the tips they gave were things I was already planning, like having community meetings, doing educational outreach, and doing short YouTube videos. I also liked the idea of a Citizens Budget Advisory Committee. Spread the love! (Or, depending on who's talking...the hate.)

I'm energized. I'm so energized, I updated my website!

Oh...and you can catch a bit of what we're doing here.

No comments: